Tuesday, October 27, 2009

The Social Networking Phenomenon

Social networking sites keep popping up online, and most people have a profile on at least one of them. The most popular ones are Myspace, Facebook, and recently Twitter. They are useful for keeping in touch with friends and sometimes you can find people you haven't seen or spoken to in years. I like this video that explains what they are and how they work (If the video is not working, here is the link)



But there's a lot of criticism and worries over social networking sites. When Myspace began rising in popularity, stories came out that depicted it as "a breeding ground for pedophiles". I know Dr. Phil did at least one show on Myspace, but I can't seem to find the episode online. Here is one of many articles on the topic. My mother refuses to allow my 15-year-old sister to have a profile on one of these sites. She tried to create one for herself once, but my mother caught her and grounded her.
I personally do not understand the negative connotations associated with social networking sites. Internet predators existed as soon as the Internet was in use. Perhaps these kind of sites make it easier for predators to find victims, but they would do it all the same, with or without a networking site. People probably do give away too much information about themselves online, but that is their own fault, not the website's.
Another topic of concern is that you can't make "real" friends on a website, although these sites allow you to add whoever you want to your "Friends List". I disagree. I met my boyfriend on a dating site, and we have been together for a year and a half. I am a shy person, and it is easier for me to meet someone online where I can think about what I want to say before I say it. My boyfriend and I do not line in the same town and we probably would not have ever met if it hadn't been for the site we were both on. I am not usually a fan of The Daily Show, but they did a pretty funny segment on "friends" on social networking site. It's meant in humor, but I think it makes a good point. (If the video is not showing up, here is the link)



This article shows statistics that these sites are costing companies money because productivity slows down when employees spend time on them at work. I think that is a genuine concern. People probably do fritter away on these sites because they can be quite addicting. They have quizzes and games in addition to being able to browse other people's profiles and pictures and look up people you might be curious about or want to reconnect with. College students confess to spending more time on Facebook than doing homework. Guilty as charged, but who WANTS to do homework? If it weren't Facebook, it would be something else.
Overall, I think these sites are more useful than they are harmful, and it is up to the user or their parents if they are a minor on how to protect themselves and be smart about it.

5 comments:

  1. First, I have to say that I am glad you chose to blog about this topic. It is such a popular topic of conversation. I fully admit to being involved in a couple of the social networks listed. I thoroughly enjoy it too. I started on MySpace and fell in love with the creative side of it all; then came along Facebook. I definitely believe that Facebook has taken the crown for leader in social networking sites.
    I am fully aware that these networking sites offer “pedophiles” and other “internet predators” access to pretty much any victim they choose. But these network sites are not to blame for this. People are responsible for what they post online and they are responsible for what they allow others to see. I definitely agree with you when you said that these “predators” existed long before MySpace or Facebook ever arrived.
    I don’t think the issue of whether you can make real friends or not online should be relevant. Who’s to say you can’t? There is proof all over saying you can meet new and “real” people online. Again, it is up to you decide what you want for yourself. MySpace.com has its purpose on its website under, “MySpace Quick Tour”: MySpace is a place for friends. MySpace is your space. MySpace keeps you connected. This is proof that the sole purpose of this particular networking site is to meet new people and to network.
    Companies have proven that work productivity has decreased because of networking sites. But there is one solution; block the sites from your company computers, and the problem is solved. I think that networking sites are harmless fun and should be cut some slack.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fist, I like the topic you have chosen. Today, Myspace and Facebook are really popular.People from all ages visit these two social websites fof different reasons.Some to chat with their friends they havent talked in years, others look for relationships, and some people just want to kill some time. I strongly agree with you that people are responsible what they post on their Myspace, or Facebook.As you said, Internet predators have been around ever since the Internet was made available to the public. Me, personally I have a Facebook account. It helps me stay in touch with a lot of my friends that I dont see on regular bases. I have a good bit of friends who live in Bulgaria,where I am from. Facebook is very helpful to keep me in touch with all my friends over seas.
    I agree with you on the topic about your "real" friends. I know a few people who actually started relationships via Facebook, or Myspace. This proves to me that anything is possible on these social networking sites. The other sub topic you have touched on (the use of Facebook, and/or Myspace) at work, or at school is very true. In my other classes at school every second person is on Myspace or Facebook.
    Overall, I believe these websites are not harmful. It is up to the user what they post and how their friends understand their posts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The aspects that online networking sites attract pedophiles, it is hard to make "real" friends online, and networking sites slow down productivity are all relevant in today's society.
    I would have to agree and I think that its all up to you to manage your networking sites. You the user have the capability to choose how much information you would like to expose, as well as what type of information to expose. The user has the option to pick and choose who they would like to associate with online. Also, it is up to the individual to manage his or her priorities. We can easily daydream and lose track at work or school.
    In the end it is all up to the user and his or her intentions. In the end, I agree and do not think these online websites are harmful. If it wasn't for "facebook" I would have a very hard time staying connected and being able to interact with my family overseas in Lebanon. Online networking sites make life more enjoyable!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Social networking has become more and more popular by the day! Everyone seems to be involved with some sorts of social networking website. You can see all sorts of people ranging from all ages and locations in the world. I personally have profiles in both Facebook and Myspace and love them both. At first I started using them to keep in contact with my friends when I moved to Georgia from California and I has worked out great for me. I also find these websites to be very convenient in situations where you lose your phone or phone numbers and are trying to reach someone you know, you can easily just get on one of these sites and just write them a message.

    One thing that I do believe should be changed is the security of other people viewing your profile. There are profile settings that can help make your profile private so random people are not able to view it, but I don’t think enough people know how to properly use the settings and that may be how they might run into trouble. As for “internet predators” they can be found anywhere on the internet now a days, you just have to be smart with how you use these websites and what you post. I also think that another important thing is that people do not post information on these sites that they don’t want other people to see, or to not accept friend requests from people they do not know. I really think that the experience taken from these websites depends on the person using it and how smart they are using them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Candice, you've chosen a topic that has attracted lots of interesting comments. I'm a half-hearted participant in the whole social networking scene, because I don't really like having to spend "downtime" on a computer. I like to unplug.

    ReplyDelete